Who needs a TB (tuberculosis) test certificate?
Our Top Tips:
Who needs to be tested?
You need to have a tuberculosis (TB) test completed before submitting your visa application if you’re coming to the UK for more than 6 months and are resident in any of these listed countries.
You’ll be given a chest x-ray to test for TB (tuberculosis). If the result of the x-ray isn’t clear you may also be asked to give a sputum sample (phlegm coughed up from your lungs).
If your test shows that you don’t have TB, you’ll be given a certificate which is valid for 6 months from the date of your x-ray. Include this certificate with your UK visa application. If your test determined you had TB (tuberculosis) you would have to undertake appropriate treatment and demonstrate by x-ray on completion of your treatment that you are now clear of TB before the UKVI would grant you a travel visa,
Who doesn’t need to be tested?
You won’t need to be tested for TB (tuberculosis) if any of the following applies to you:
- you’re a diplomat accredited to the UK
- you’re a returning UK resident and haven’t been away for more than 2 years
- you lived for at least 6 months in a country where TB screening is not required by the UK, and you’ve been away from that country for no more than 6 months
All children resident in any of the listed countries must see a clinician who’ll decide if they need a chest x-ray. Children under 11 will not normally have a chest x-ray. Use the above link as only approved clinics certificates are accepted
You must take your child to an approved clinic and complete a health questionnaire. If the clinician decides your child doesn’t have TB they’ll give you a certificate. Include this certificate with your child’s UK visa application.
You can choose:
- an x-ray with an extra shield to protect you and your unborn child in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters
- a sputum test (phlegm coughed up from your lungs) - there may be an extra fee and you could wait up to 8 weeks for results
- to wait until after delivery
- If you don’t want to be tested you can use an x-ray taken within the last 3 months at a UK-approved screening clinic. Ask a clinician at an approved clinicto review your x-ray. If it’s accepted the clinician will give you a certificate to send with your UK visa application.